Over 200 Excel Shortcuts For Mac and windows
This article provides over 200 excel shortcuts for mac and windows which are grouped in different categories according to functions. One major way to increase your productivity when working in an Excel model is to use Excel shortcuts, or shortcut keys.
These excel shortcut for mac and windows perform major functions that, when used instead of clicking in the toolbar, dramatically increase efficiency in speed. Imagine simply pressing two or three keys on the keyboard as opposed to moving your hand to the mouse, moving the mouse and clicking several times. There are thousands of keyboard shortcuts that can be used within Excel to increase productivity. These shortcuts can perform any functions as simple as navigation within the spreadsheet to filling in formulas, or grouping data.
Excel’s Basic terminology
Before diving into the excel shortcuts for mac and windows, it would be prudent to first discuss basic terminology around the elements of excel.
- A cell is any of the many boxes with the Excel spreadsheet.
- An active cell is the cell currently selected by Excel. There can only be one active cell.
- A selection is the active cell, or a group of cells currently selected. If more than one cell is in the selection, the active cell will be highlighted in white, while the rest of the selection is highlighted in gray.
- A column is a group of vertical cells, referenced in Excel by letters in ascending order from A to Z. Beyond column Z, Excel will repeat letters a second time. As such, the column directly after column Z is column AA, followed by column AB.
- A row is a group of horizontal cells, referenced in Excel by integers in increasing order from 1 to n. The value n depends on the operating system and version of Excel.
- Learn more excel basics.
Types of data that exist within Excel
- Text are pieces of data that utilize letters. Numbers can also be used in Text data. However, these numbers must be used in conjunction with letters, or must manually be set to text.
- Numbers are pieces of data that utilize numbers exclusively. Unlike text type data which can use numbers, number type data cannot use letters.
- Currency/accounting pieces of data that utilize numbers in conjunction with a currency marker.
- Dates are pieces of data that denote a date and/or time. There are multiple formats for dates within Excel.
- Percentage type data are a subset of numbered data that is converted into a percentage. These can be converted back into the number-type, and vice versa. Converting to number type from percentage will show the number as a decimal. For example, 89% will convert to 0.89.
- Learn more about formulas here and here.
Below are over 200 Excel shortcuts for Mac and Windows. They are grouped into different categories. Enjoy.